»

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Cold Chills and Hot Sweats

That's what I get for opening my mouth so soon. I was just telling Dustin this past week how proud I was that I haven't REALLY gotten sick this whole winter. Well, I guess that triggered it all. Friday I started coughing..deep coughing in my chest, and I got congested along with a fever. When we got home I was shivering with a long sleeve shirt, fleece pants, a sheet, blanket and comforter covering me up (plus it was 70 degrees in the house) and Dustin thought I was nuts till he took my temperature and it was 100 degrees. Saturday, I had plans to clean house and get several things done around here before Preston comes, but "NOOOoooo" I had to stay in bed all day because my fever kept coming back and everything was aching. Well, it's Sunday evening and I can't even talk above a whisper, I still cough once in awhile and I'm still pretty congested so I probably shouldn't go into work tomorrow. This is my most miserable cold/flu I've ever had. Being pregnant makes it so much worse. I can't take 'real' medicine that knocks it out, my stomach kills me when I cough and Preston gets all stirred up, I'm SO thirsty but everytime I drink anything it tends to come up and burn my throat thanks to pregnancy 'acid reflux' and I'm just not liking any of it. Does anyone have advice on controling acid reflux? Tums just doesn't do a thing for me.

2 comments:

Hannah E. said...

I'm afraid I am no help on the reflux/heartburn stuff! Tums is helping me, but my doctor also said to try Pepcid AC. Have you tried that one? I'm sorry - I know how you feel. I had the same kind of sickness last week, and I couldn't raise my head for almost a week! Finally, on the fourth day of not seeing any improvement at all in how I felt (after taking all kinds of Tylenol products), my OB prescribed me a Z-pack, and it did help. I wish I had asked for it the first or second day instead of trying the over-the-counter stuff so long. But my (pregnant) friend Shelly used the Tylenol Cold Multi-Symptom Severe, and it helped her really fast! She went from really bad sick to all well in just a day.

Stay hydrated though - my sister-in-law had her baby this week thanks to dehydration from a stomach virus! Once that happened, I became really aware of how important it is to drink those fluids when pregnant!

LiveFreeor said...

Homeopathic tip for acid reflux:

Try charcoal tablets. They can be purchased at any whole foods/health store. If you are taking medication, consider this, charcoal is very absorbent. Until you can purchase your tablets, try burned toast.